Dec 14, 2021
Tips on Choosing the Perfect Name for Your Boat
According to old boating legends changing the name of a boat or yacht brings a plethora of bad juju. But if you plan on going that route, there is a specific ceremony that goes with changing boat names that ensure every boater avoids the bad luck brought on by the King of the Sea, Poseidon himself. Although boat naming has been around for thousands of years, the process of finding the perfect name for your boat has not become any easier.
A tradition first started by sailors, who would name their vessels after saints and deities, attempting to receive good luck and smooth sailing out on the open waters. It was a pivotal tradition to take great care when choosing the right name for a boat, as it could mean a safe journey or rough waters.
Our yacht maintenance and management team has seen our fair share of the best names for a boat and is sharing our tips on choosing the perfect name for your boat or yacht.
How to Name Your Boat or Yacht
While some boaters and yacht owners prefer an old classic vessel name or the most popular boat name, some maritime lovers want a unique boat name that reflects their boat's personality. Here are some things from our yacht restoration crew members to be mindful of when choosing the best name for your boat.
- The name of your yacht or boat should be two or three words max, keeping it short and sweet.
- The name should be enough characters to fit comfortably on the transom of your vessel, and easy for other boaters to read.
- Choose a boat or yacht name that is easy to communicate over VHF radio.
- Do not choose a boat name that may otherwise be used by others asking for help in the water or a part of an emergency situation such as Man Overboard.
- Consider a name that may represent your profession or a hobby about which you are most passionate.
- Think of funny boat puns and double-meaning slogans that add personality to your vessel and have fun with it.
- Consider naming your yacht after a famous song, movie, or another form of cultural art about which you are passionate.
Bad Luck Boat Naming Superstitions
According to old maritime legends, there are several boat name traditions, superstitions, and myths that are important to note when choosing the perfect title for your boat. For one, it is considered bad luck to have the name of your yacht start with an “O”. It is also bad luck to name a ship something brash and arrogant that might tempt the sea, such as Hurricane or Titanic.
Finally, if you were thinking of just not naming your maritime vessel at all, well that is bad luck as well. It is important to take pride in your boat’s name so consider choosing a boat name that fits your personality and the identity of your vessel.
Funny Boat Names
In addition to providing exceptional gelcoat refinishing services, our Yacht Management team can provide some funny boat names for your maritime vessel!
- The Codfather
- Nacho Boat
- Water You Lookin At?
- Seas the Day
- Rock Bottom
- Sea Senora
- Happy Hours
Traditional Boat Names
Some boat owners prefer more traditional names for their boats, here are some popular boat names that our gelcoat refinishing team found out on the water.
- Carpe Diem
- Second Wind
South Florida Yacht Management
At Yacht Management, we can offer so much more than just helping you choose the perfect name for your boat or yacht. We provide our clients with a wide range of yacht management services including, providing them with the best bottom paint for boats at our South Florida marina.
We have exceptional Bahamas yacht services for charter and hull cleaning services to ensure your maritime vessel is looking its best at all times, especially out on the water. Contact us today to learn more and ask about our yacht concierge services!